Monday, May 19, 2014

Darby Smart review, May 2014

Holy Moses, this weekend brought a cavalcade of subscription boxes. Unfortunately, one of those boxes wasn't Golden Tote. I see that other people are starting to receive their GT shipments, and mine hasn't even been sent yet. I've been diligently staying away from reviews because I don't want to be spoilered, but I'm hoping my tote shows up soon.

Anyway, I had enough goodies arriving on my doorstep the past few days to keep me busy. I'll start with the May shipment from Darby Smart, which is a subscription service that sends out a monthly craft project for subscribers to complete. I was thrilled with past projects that I've received from Darby Smart, but I had read a "spoiler" on the company's Facebook page about how this box would contain something "sweet," so I was unhappily anticipating that the project would be related to baking or chocolate. (I don't mind baking, but I subscribe to Darby Smart specifically because I want craft projects, not cooking projects.) Let's see what I found when I opened the box.



Hmmm, still not sure what we've got here...


And THERE it is...a candy-making kit. It includes Wilton's Candy Melts (vanilla flavor), plastic molds of lips and moustaches, a box of colors that can be used to decorate the candy, and, of course, sucker sticks.

I've had candy made from Wilton's Candy Melts before, and I will say that it was very good, but this project doesn't enthuse me in the least. I'm not big into candy-making, and all I see when I look at this box are the pots, pans, and utensils that I'll have to clean when I'm finished. However, I do realize that, for some people, this box would be perfect, so keep in mind that my attitude toward the contents is entirely my own opinion, based solely on my own interests. When I look at the box objectively, I can say that the value and quality of the items are excellent, and that someone who is more into kitchen stuff than I am would love this kit.

----------

Anyway, that's my take. I was disappointed with the "craft" this month, but I'm still on board for the long haul. I think Darby Smart offers a great value for what you pay ($19 a month), and, as I mentioned, I've loved previous crafts that I've received from the company, so I'll just sit tight and see what next month brings.

If you're interested in trying out Darby Smart for yourself, head here: Darby Smart subscription link

No comments:

Post a Comment