Monday, June 2, 2014

Elizabeth & Clarke review, June 2014

Elizabeth & Clarke is a service that sends out quarterly shipments of high-end, designer tops. The company offers three subscription levels: one shirt per quarter for $30, two shirts per quarter for $50, and three shirts per quarter for $60. I like to think of myself as a bargain shopper, so I went with the three-for-60 deal. I went to the E&C website, chose three shirts from among the five options offered for the company's summer collection, then sat back to wait for my goodies to arrive in the mail. (Because I ordered the shirts back in April, it was a long wait, since the shirts weren't set to be released until June.) In any event, I received my first E&C shipment this weekend.




Each of Elizabeth & Clarke's shirts is named in honor of an "Elizabeth," or a "Liz," or a "Beth," or a ... well, you get the idea.

Here are the three shirts that I chose.

1. "The Taylor." This is a tab-sleeved blouse that's very comfortable, and will be a great piece to wear with jeans for a casual look, or with dress pants for a "work" look. Apparently, it's one of Elizabeth & Clarke's most popular shirts. I like this blouse, but the fit is a little off. Based on my measurements, I fall somewhere between two of E&C's sizes, so, to be on the safe side, I opted for the larger size in all three shirts that I ordered. I like the fit of this shirt through the waist and hips, but the bust is WAY too big for me. Also, the sleeves attach low to the sides of the shirt, which is something that drives me crazy. Elizabeth & Clarke offers returns and exchanges, so I'm trying to decide whether I should exchange this shirt for a smaller size, and risk getting something too small in the waist/hip region, or whether I should take it to a seamstress and see if she can fix the sleeves and bust area.


2. The Hart. This is a basic v-neck t-shirt, and I really like it. As with The Taylor, it's a little big in the bust, but not quite as bad, so I can deal.



3. The Truman. I had high hopes for this one, but I don't like the end result. Again, the bust area is HUGE to the point that I can't wear the shirt out in public without exposing massive amounts of undergarment. Plus, the hip and waist area are very clingy, and show every bulge, so I don't feel at all confident wearing this. I'm not sure what to do with the shirt...if I have a seamstress alter the bust, I'll still have the hip/waist issue. If I exchange the shirt for a size smaller so that the bust fits, I'll have the same hip/waist issue, only worse. If I order a size up so that the hip/waist fits, the bust will be gargantuan. I think that I'll just have to straight-up return this, which bums me out, because, minus the fit issues, I really like the cut and style. (And BTW, I know you can't see the very top of the shirt in the photo, so just an FYI, it's a boat-style neckline.)

----------

My verdict? I was a bit disappointed in the items that I received from Elizabeth & Clarke this month. Not because of the quality, which was top-notch, but because of the fit issues. I've already placed my order for the fall collection, so I think that I'll go down a shirt size for those items and see if I have better luck. In any event, I do really like the styles that E & C offers, and the fact that the company allows returns and exchanges makes me feel more confident in subscribing to the service. I've seen shirts from previous seasons that were absolutely GORGEOUS, so I'll just consider this summer shipment to be a lesson learned about sizing, and look ahead to future seasons.

If you'd like to check out Elizabeth & Clark, head here: Elizabeth & Clark subscription link

No comments:

Post a Comment