Thursday, April 3, 2014

Beauty Army review, April 2014

Beauty Army is a subscription service that lets you choose five beauty samples every month. That aspect of the service--being able to decide ahead of time which products you want to try--can be a double-edged sword. On the one hand, unlike other beauty subscription boxes, Beauty Army doesn't afford you the thrill of surprise, as it's you who chooses the items that show up on your doorstep. On the other hand, because you choose your samples, you can rest assured that they'll be products you'll actually want to use. (And if you're anything like me, you'll forget what items you chose, so by the time the Beauty Army package arrives in the mail, it'll be a surprise anyway.)

The folks at Beauty Army were nice enough to send me a free shipment to review this month. I received the package yesterday. Here are my thoughts.



To start, I loved the packaging! Beauty Army packs its samples into a cute, and surprisingly durable, pink box with a camouflage lid. The package looks like a miniature (and much prettier) version of a cigar box, and is sturdy enough that I can use it to store and organize things in my bathroom. The way I look at it, Beauty Army basically sent me a bonus gift (the box) in addition to my samples.

Oh yeah, the samples. Let's get on to them. Keep in mind that I chose these items myself from among several options, so if you don't love what I got, you might find something more to your liking among Beauty Army's other offerings.



1. Remington Braided Hair Wraps (set of two)--these are made of suede, and I got them because I can always use headbands to hold back my hair when I wash my face and do other bathroom primping. They were of a better quality than I thought they'd be, so I'm happy with my choice.



2. Miracle Skin Transformer Acne Control--as I'm writing this post, it's occurring to me that I'm revealing all my beauty woes (acne, for instance) to the world. Too late to stop now, I guess. I chose this product because I get the occasional zit, so I'll be curious to see how it works.



3. Nelson J Moisture Healing Mask--In addition to acne, I have dry hair. I've heard that argan oil is a good treatment for damaged strands, so I'm eager to give this a try.



4. Amlactin Moisturizing Body Lotion--this past winter has beat up my skin, so lotion is definitely a good thing.



5. Embelleze Novex Brazilian Keratin--this is another treatment for damaged hair, and a fairly big sample, so I was happy with my choice. The only thing that made me unhappy was the fact that some of the product leaked out of the container en route to my house. The container wasn't broken in any way, so I'm not sure how the leakage happened, but luckily it was a small amount and didn't leave a mess. (Plus, the product smells good, so the box had a nice scent when I opened it.)

----------

My verdict? I was really happy with my first Beauty Army shipment, and will definitely be staying on as a customer. I already subscribe to Birchbox and Ipsy, both of which I love, but I like the fact that Beauty Army lets its subscribers choose the samples they want. I can be assured that the $12 I spend a month will be going toward products that I'll actually use. Aside from the minor Keratin spillage, my first shipment was perfect, and I'm already looking forward to choosing next month's samples.

If you'd like to join Beauty Army (which, as I mentioned, costs $12 a month), sign up here: Beauty Army subscription link

No comments:

Post a Comment